Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Picture

I was looking through a lot of different pictures that I have with me all the time and I came across one that was of myself. No, I didn't look and think, "Wow, I miss my old life!" It was quite the opposite. I looked at that picture for a few minutes looking into the eyes of who I once was.
"What's different? What's changed?" I asked myself, not sure how I could answer that question.
This question has been on my mind since that time that I had an encounter with myself. I have often looked at that picture over and over. I don't know why, but it's like I was trying to tell myself something.
I figured it out this morning! I looked again at that picture and saw a young man staring at me just smiling. I happened to turn around to see the reflection of a missionary in the mirror...It was me. I had changed. I was the person that the young man in the photo had dreamed of becoming.
How did we become the people that we are today? There are many different experiences that we go through in our life. How we react to those experiences will shape who we are and will determine our character. We are essentially refined.
I like the way that Jesus Christ uses the word "refine" as He speaks to those in the scriptures. 3Nephi24:3
Just as a silversmith heats silver until he can see his image in the silver itself, so does God allow us to be in trials and adversity until He can see His image in us. We all have our "Refining moments." But, we can be assured that God will help us to become what He wants us to be.
God is real. He is there to help us up when we fall down. He wants us to reach our full potential. I know that is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment